Action Plan for
Stacey Thompson
Project: Effective Strategies for Economically Disadvantaged Students Date: 07/31/2010
Goals:
The goal of my action research study is going to focus on the effective strategies that teachers can use to help economically disadvantaged students be successful on Reading TAKS.
Measures of Success:
Surveys, benchmarks, TAKS scores and other data that is collected.
Staffing and Participants:
Stacey Thompson
Donna Alexander
Cathy Geary
Judy Cottier
Estimated Completion Date for All Activities: November 2010
Action Item: Surveys Owner: Stacey Thompson Due Date: 09/06/2010
Description of Activity: Create a survey for teachers, parents and students
Resources Needed: sample surveys
Action Item: Surveys Owner: All Due Date: 09/10/2010
Description of Activity: Teachers will give surveys to students and parents to complete. The teacher will also complete a survey of their own.
Resources Needed: surveys
Action Item: Data Analysis Owner: Stacey Due Date: 09/14/2010
Description of Activity: I will take the data that we received from the surveys and break it down to find the method of instruction to be used in the experimental group.
Resources Needed: surveys and desegregating data tools
Action Item: Implement Changes Owner: All Due Date: 11/2010
Description of Activity: The assisting teachers will implement the changes of teaching methods in their classrooms as the results of the findings of the surveys.
Resources Needed: results of surveys, new teaching tools to assist in the implementation of changes
Action Item: Ending Data Owner: Stacey Due Date: 11/2010
Description of Activity: I will take the data from the benchmarks and/or TAKS test and compare it to the previous year’s benchmarks and/or TAKS tests to determine if the changes that were implemented benefited the students.
Resources Needed: Benchmark Scores, TAKS Scores, other beneficial data
Evaluation or Reflection: Throughout the course of the plan and implementation the participating teachers and I will use anecdotal records, teacher observations, samples of students work, interviews and conversations. These tools will give us the information we need to know if we are going in the right direction or if there are changes that need to be made.
Hi Stacey! I think it is great that you are focusing on how to more effectively teach reading to ED students. If you have not, look into works by Ruby Payne. It does astonish me how ED students lack common experiences and prior knowledge. I'm glad that you are just focusing on one area and not all. I think it will be more beneficial to start with one area and then branch out to others. You don't want to get overwhelmed. We'll keep in touch via our projects. I'm looking forward to it! Best wishes!
ReplyDelete